Protest at Rio Tinto HQ
Rio Tinto is a multinational metals and mining corporation, the largest by market capitalisation in the world. It is a world leader in the production of aluminium, iron ore, copper, uranium, coal, and diamonds.
Rio Tinto has an appalling record:
- According to the Carbon Majors Database it was responsible for 0.75% of the world’s carbon emissions between 1988 and 2015.
- Rio Tinto supplies the Uranium for atomic weapons. In Namibia, workers at Rio Tinto’s Uranium mine were kept in appalling slave-like conditions.
- Rio Tinto’s corporate behaviour has caused armed conflict in Papua New Guinea, West Papua and The Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Rio Tinto employs mercenaries to protect its interests.
- Its Oyu Tolgoi copper and gold mine under development in Mongolia uses vast quantities of water in a desert region and poses a threat to pastoral communities.
- Rio Tinto discharges 1,000,000,000 tonnes of tailings each year into the local river systems. Rio Tinto is responsible for several tailings dam collapses.
- Rio Tinto supported apartheid by underpaying its black labour force.
- Rio Tinto supported the Franco regime in Spain. Workers that complained were court marshalled and shot.
- In the USA, hundreds of premature deaths are blamed on air pollution from the Bingham Canyon mine: the single largest open pit mining operation and the deepest excavation of its kind in the world.
- Rio Tinto supplies the materials to produce guns, tanks, aircraft, warships and submarines. They have played a part in every war since 1873.
Meet in Trafalgar Square at 12 noon and march to Rio Tinto HQ via a few other multinationals…
BRING PLACARDS, BANNERS, DRUMS & WHISTLES, POTS & PANS!!